Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Band Practice

Band Practice Empty Band Practice

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:17

Jenny walked into the Room of Requirement, which now had a full band setup. It had a full set of acoustic drums, two electric guitars, one bass guitar, a keyboard, and two mics. Sitting on a stand sat two turquoise acoustic guitars, just in case they wanted a different sound.

Jenny was meeting Cass and Alice here, and perhaps a few more people. She was determined to complete 6.

Last edited by Jennifer Bennett on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:29; edited 1 time in total

Band Practice Empty Re: Band Practice

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:25

Cass strolled in with her overlarge sunglasses and studded leather jacket. Apparantly this was the style that muggles had when they had their music vibe going, or something along those lines.
    "Right, Jen. What you going on? I'm looking at that acoustic. How about you?"
    With a grin from ear to ear, Cass fished through her pockets for her capo and pick- a snitch's wing.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:28

"We can play a duet, or you can just play. We could also sing a duet, if you want to sing as well. I suppose it depends on what songs we know," Jenny made a mental list, but came up with too many titles. She was sure she would know at least one of the songs Cass knew how to play. "What about Alice? What can she play?"

Of course Cass would arrive in style. Jenny was just wearing a long-sleeved striped shirt and jeans, a typical casual outfit for her.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:41

"I'd love to do something together," said Cass, grinning. "I love that sound you have when you're playing at perfect time. Is like the best kind of adrenaline ever. Ok, so the main question is Muggle music or Wrock? Because I'll have to admit, I do dabble in the muggle music quite a bit."

Cass skimmed over Jennifer's outfit for Band Practice. All she was missing was earmuff's and a snowman, in the sense she looked cozy. She wished she'd brought her yellow jumper now.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 09:45

"I prefer muggle music. I know more songs by muggles than by wizard musicians. I don't know any guitar duets, though. I can sing duets easily, even make them up, but if we're going to go for a duet i think i'll just stick to singing"

Last edited by Jennifer Bennett on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:18; edited 2 times in total

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:15

"Well you sing, I'll get into the zone," she said the last word ominously as she threw her glasses to the floor. "That's what they do when they're 'popstars'. They have 'strops'," nodded Cass knowingly.

"Well, you got the music sheet? I think if I at least have the chords, I'll be able to improv on the rest."
    Cass took off her leather jacket and rested it on the back of her chair, as she sat down and placed the marble-effect guitar on her knee.

No guitar strap, she mused. But she didn't really need it. The colour was really nice, though. Azure, but so close to being turquoise. Then again, Cass saw colours a little different anyway. A little bit.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:22

Jenny hadn't the slightest clue what a strop was, or anything else Cass said, for that matter. She had gotten used to it, however, and continued as usual.

"Yeah, I have the chords on here," Jenny pulled out a piece of parchment she wrote on. The words to the song were written in a neat line with slashes at every measure. Above each slash was a guitar chord letter for Cass. The only thing missing, other than the notes, was the published words. They were different- altered.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:27

"Brilliant, just what I need. Hey, where's your lyrics, Jennifer? Or do you know them from memory?"
    Cass turned her ear to her guitar as she turned the bottom string, continuing to the top, and finishing with a G chord. It sounded fine. "I really hate steel strings," she thought aloud, "because I hate using picks. Plastic, nylon-y strings are always much better, I'd say. For now, at least."

Cassopeia looked at her hard fingertips. They didn't look like the fingers of a twelve year old. To be honest, they looked pretty yucky.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:31

"Those are the lyrics. My lyrics. I rewrote the song for Ron and Hermione Weasley. I want to send it to them, but i think it would be weird. I don't even know if it's good enough. I was hoping we could try them out," Jenny pointed at the words. They weren't the ones Cass would know, but they fit the song's beat and all. "I call it Hey There, Hermione"

"Your fingers- your left hand has short nails and your right has long nails. Does that make it easier to play?" Jenny didn't want to point out that they looked painful. Cass must play often.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:38

"Right, wow," gasped Cass, "wouldn't you find it odd if I said I'd done the same? 'though, I'm sure they're different- we weren't seperated at birth, after all," she joked.
    Nodding along and mouthing Jennifer's words, she pulled a face when she saw a certain bulgarian's name crop up.
    "Brilliant. Bloody brilliant. You thought about being a songwriter, Jennifer? Because you should. Right," she squirmed in her seat. "intro..."

Cass pulled on her poker-slash-concentration-slash-zone-out face on, and put her fingers close to the strings.
    D F sharp minor... al coda...

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:47

"Right. When you're ready, then," Jenny nodded, standing up straight and focusing on her breathing. That and singing the right words and notes. That was important, too. She began as soon as Cass was done with the intro.

"Hey there Hermione
    What’s it like in Muggle cities?
    You may be out with Viktor Krum
    But in those robes you look so pretty
    Yes you do
    The Yule Ball’s nothing without you
    Oh yeah, it’s true

Hey there Hermione
    Don’t you worry about the magic
    Even though we may have problems
    We know they won’t end up tragic
    Don’t you fear
    Like with that troll, I’ll be right here
    Yes, I’ll stay near

Magic’s what you do to me
    It’s what you do to me

Hey there Hermione
    I know times might soon get hard
    But even with He Who Must Not Be Named
    I promise I’ll stand guard
    I’ll help you fight
    I’ll stay with you throughout the night
    We’ll be alright

Hey there Hermione
    There’s something I must say
    But every single time I try to talk
    Bloody Krum steals you away
    You run along
    And start to dance to that dumb song
    It takes too long

Flying brooms might seem too hard
    But you know that I can’t drive a car
    I tried in our second year but it ran away
    Draco may make fun of us
    But we’ll just laugh at him because
    He’s just a bouncing ferret anyway
    If it’s Harry, me, and you
    I know that we will make it through
    And You Know Who will finally learn to die
    And you’ll be mine

Hey there Hermione
    Study hard and just stay with me
    Three more years and we’ll be done with school
    And might be making history
    Me and you
    Oh yeah, and Harry Potter too
    The DA too

It’s what you do to me"

Jenny finished with a smile. Her voice had rung loud and clear. It was a good thing it wasn't morning time. Her voice was always groggy the first few hours after she wakes.

"What do you think? I was thinking of changing the chorus to You've cast a spell on me, but I don't know if it will be better"

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:53

Cass had stopped just as Jennifer had begun on the bridge, just listening to her sing her song. It was the combination of a good set of lyrics with a good voice that had made her grin and contemplate the song in all of its entirety.
    "Nah," she said, her voice louder than a whisper, "it fits much more snug on the one you have now."
    Woah.

"You'll definately have to perform that to someone, you know," she gushed.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:58

Jenny hadn't even noticed that Cass had stopped playing partway. She was too engrossed in her music.

Jenny blushed, "I've never really performed. It's kind of embarrassing"

Jenny couldn't sing on front of people. Maybe a couple of her friends, but a group of friends might even be pushing it. It either had to be an entire stadium worth of faceless people, or a couple of closer friends. It would be even worse to sing about someone else's life that she had written a song about. Creeper, much?

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:23

"Well, I think- I think. I think that if you're embarassed now, at our age, just think what you'll be like when you're older; bit by bit, you'll get more confident, and you never know when Celestina Warbeck is going to be on the lookout for a protogeé!"

Cass rooted around her pocket for her instrumental tune she loved to play. Placing her capo on the third fret- to make her own stamp on the song- Cass started on the chorus of Silhouettes in Sunsets.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:35

Jenny listened to Cass play, letting her words and sound sink in. It was so beautiful that it didn't need lyrics. Jenny thought it would sound better with different strings, because it clashed on louder chords, but she was the one who thought up an acoustic with metal strings.

"Did you write this?"

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:41

Cass had to let out a splutter, "psh, I wish. I'm but a mindless drone, my dear Bennett. I just play. Can't write to save my life- I mean, have you seen me trying to make sense in a lesson?! It can't be done. So you can only imagine how my exams went," she said, rubbing her arm. "Nah, this is by one of those muggle 'popstars'. Tom Felton or something. He's in this stupid fantasy film about magic. It's really poxy. What a rip off."

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:46

"Poxy?" Jenny cocked her head to the side. Was this a slang word? "Oh, is that the movie that's supposed to be about magic? Didn't some squib blab about Harry Potter to some muggle and it became some sort of popular movie deal?"

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:59

"Yep," she sighed, "she made Harry Potter out to be some grandiosa hero, and Neville gets shunted to killing one teeny snake. I hate it when people don't know the real truth. He did so much, and so there are so little who recognise him for that. Guess I'll just have to be happy we know."

Cass looked at Jennifer and had to steal another glance.
    Had she done something different with her hair?

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:14

"I'm pretty sure it was a big snake, but yeah, I agree. Wasn't most of his success luck and support from his friends?" Jenny laughed. Noticing Cass' double take, her hand flew to her hair. "Is there a bug in my hair or something?" Perhaps there was something in her teeth?

Post by Guest Wed 01 Sep 2010, 22:44

"HAH! That's what I'll have to say to people now- Neville killed Voldy's snake, that's a big deal. A really big deal," Cass nodded in seriousness, until her neck cracked, and she groaned softly.
    Holding onto her neck casually, Cass answered, "no, of course not. Your hair looks a little lighter, is all. Probably with all the sun. Mine does that, too. You can hardly see the brown now..."

Post by Guest Thu 02 Sep 2010, 03:44

"Well, now that we've crossed off number 6, why don't we head to the lake with a broom or two?" Jenny smiled. Riding over the lake would be fun- perhaps they'd even get to wave to some merpeople!

Not likely, since they tend to stay in their castle on the floor unless they need to convey a message to the headmistress or something.

Post by Guest Thu 02 Sep 2010, 22:16

Cass nodded. Jennifer's voice was still gliding through her head like a hippogriff flying through the air.
    "S-sure. Head on down!" she said, standing up, and placing the guitar on it's holster.

She did a quick scour of the room to check she hadn't left anything, and saw the gold glint near the capo on the guitar. Which reminded her about the capo, too.
    My lucky snitch wing pick.

*No snitches were harmed in the making of this pick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 03:55