Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samantha's Bakery

Samantha's Bakery - Page 5 Empty Re: Samantha's Bakery

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jul 2010, 23:29

Samantha was startled by the knock but when Raven was the one who entered, her features relaxed into a smile. He looked a little uncomfortable but she supposed it was a boy thing.

"Just in time," she said putting down his mother's diary. "Guess what I just made."

Walking over to the oven, she pulled it open and slid out the newly baked Quiche. She carried it to the counter and waited for his response.

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jul 2010, 23:39

Raven stared at the quiche with wide eyes, mouth open. He forgot that she had told him she had been in the kitchens that night when he was homesick. Blinking back the shock, he smiled. "Wow, that looks really good!"
    He then flinched seeing her hand and felt bad again. His mom would be so disappointed in him. Looking to the floor he bit his lip again then looked over her shoulder. "Look, Sam. I'm really sorry, about your hand. I feel really bad for what I did. Is there anyway I could make it up to you? Clean your kitchen or something?"

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jul 2010, 23:45

"Oh, you're worried about this?" she spared her bruised left wrist a glance before giving it a dismissive nod. "Don't worry about it, we were dueling."

So this is why the boy looked so uncomfortable. Well, the Quiche ought to make that right. Maybe he'll understand she didn't mind at all. If anything, he'd made her so much happier by not going easy on her during the duel.

"Well, for a start, you can try some of this and tell me how it tastes," she addressed his question.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 00:12

Actually meeting her eyes, Raven was confused. "But, it must hurt and make it harder for you to do this stuff."
    He still joined her at the counter and looked at the quiche. It really did look and smell good. "You really do like to cook and bake don't you?"

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 00:26

Samantha could see her wrist was bothering him a lot and that gave her courage to tell him the truth.

"Look, I know you feel bad about this," she nodded to her hand "But really, I'm sort of really you did this. You see, I... I'm no good at Muggle dueling and I... well, I'm not that good at magical stuff either. And this is the first time I actually won something. And it kind of feels really good because you didn't feel sorry for me or go easy on me. It might not make much sense but I'm really really glad that you tried your best to win." All this was said to the marble topped counter in a hurry. "And as for the bruises, Madam Pomfrey offered to heal them but I kinda wanted to keep them... as a battle scar of sorts. At least until they fade," she blushed at her own stupidity.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 00:31

Raven laughed softly at that. He could understand keeping the bruises as proof of victory. He felt a lot better. And she was right, he hadn't gone easy on her, she had been better than he had been. He was glad that he had been able to help her, even if he didn't like that he had hurt her.
    Smiling, he nodded. "So, shall we have some of this before it gets cold then?"

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 00:46

"Go ahead," she said, glad to see him more at ease. She had inserted a knife in earlier to check if it was done and it had came out the same way it went in, showing the dish had been baked to perfection. She had kept it back in the oven only to keep it warm.

Taking the same knife she'd used for the test, she cut out a bit and offered it to him, hoping he wouldn't find it too unappealing. She glanced nervously around the room as he took the proffered piece.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 01:35

Taking the sample, Raven put it in his mouth and chewed. His eyes lit up and he savored the taste. It was really good! He grinned seeing that Sam was looking everywhere but at him. She was nervous about how it would taste? "This was your first time making it?" He guessed. "You wouldn't know it. It tastes really good. Have some yourself if you don't believe me."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 01:42

Samantha blushed at the compliment. She had been nervous and she was extremely glad he didn't hate it.

"Well, this is the first time I made it this way," she confessed. "Some of the credit should go to your mum too seeing as she had a detailed description of your favorite Quiche recipe in her cooking diary." The dark haired girl looked down, hoping he wasn't offended.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 01:50

Raven's eyes really got big at that. She had used his mum's cookbook? A full smile bloomed on his face at that. "Yeah? Thanks. I'm glad you're finding use for it and are enjoying it."
    Tilting his head in thought he stated, "Mum says people learn from others' recipes, but it becomes theirs when they learn their own way to make it. You know, like adding your own touch be it spices or whatever."
    He blushed then grinned as he shrugged. "You probably already know all about that though, huh?"

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:00

"Sort of," she admitted, looking down.

Trying to change the subject, she said "Yes, the books really useful. There are loads of ways to modify existing recipes I've never seen before. And your mum's narration is so sweet. Like this one titled "Adi's Spongecake". Or is it 'Adri's'?" the girl continued enthusiastically. "The way it's written and the amount of experimenting she did to get it just rights, I guess that's for your dad?"

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:17

Raven's face closed up, all expression leaving it. Turning so he could lean his back against the counter he crossed his arms over his chest. "Adri, and yeah. That was for my father."
    He winced when his words came out clipped. It wasn't Sam's fault for bringing up a sore subject. He was a bit surpirsed though. He would have thought that his mum would have destroyed those pages.
    "He really liked my mum's cooking."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:30

The usage of past tense didn't escape the girl. Was... liked...

All color had drained from Raven's face and she felt more than saw him clam up at the mention of his father. Perhaps that's why he didn't talk about the man. Now that Samantha thought about it, she had heard mention of his mum quite a bit but never of his dad.

Biting her lower lip, she tried to apologize. "I-I'm sorry if I said something w-wrong," she stuttered. She knew that look, it was one she often wore when forced to say anything about her aunt.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:41

Annoyed with himself, Raven shook his head. Great, now he had ruined the comfortable companionship they had. Letting out a breath he uncrossed his arms and turned to face Sam. Smiling he shook his head again. "You didn't, don't worry. Mum puts her whole heart into something when she does it. You seem like that too. I mean, from what I've observed. You're cooking and when you're talking about things you like. Like when you were telling me about the Warfares book."
    He liked seeing the confident smiling Sam. Grinning he had to tease her. "Or like beating me soundly in that duel or pelting me with a dodge ball."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:51

Samantha looked up to his smiling face, he wasn't mad at her after all. Regardless, she vowed not to speak of his father again unless he brought up the subject himself.

At the mention of his mum and all the things they'd done in school so far, she couldn't help but smile back. The duel in particular always made her feel like she had accomplished something huge.

"And to think my aunt said coming to Hogwarts was a waste of time," she said, in good spirits for once at the mention of the woman.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 02:58

Raven matched her smile. Good, she was happy again. "Hogwarts isn't a waste," he replied to her statement. "Schools are where you learn and meet new and interesting people. If you hadn't come here, I wouldn't have met you or tasted your delicious cooking. And if you hadn't of met me, you wouldln't have had the fun of beating me up."
    He grinned to show he found it amusing. Recalling the irritated looks the professors wore whenever Sam or any other student like Will or Lawr pointed stuff out amused him greatly too.
    "I think coming here was awesome."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 03:12

"Well, my aunt has different ideas. She... she runs this bakery and I've been helping her with it since I was really young. And well, when I got my letter, she said I'd be wasting my time seeing as I'm going to end up back in the kitchen anyway," she confessed and then a thought struck her.

"Please don't tell anyone else about this!" she pleaded, a sudden look of panic in her eyes.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 03:16

If she'd been helping her aunt since she was small, it was no wonder she could cook so well, Raven mused. Seeing his friend panic though, he immediately wanted to put her fears at ease. "Hey, I might be in Slytherin, Sam, but I don't rat out my friends or give away their secrets."
    If that didn't work he would appeal to the Slytherin side of her. "Besides, you have stuff to use against me if I said anything, don't you? So, as Jas says, no worries."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 03:22

Samantha had no idea what a Jas was but she didn't care as long as the boy was promising to keep her secret. And more importantly, he didn't think she was odd for helping run a bakery. She knew a lot of people would look down on her for that - which was mainly why she guarded her secret with such zeal.

"Thank you," she said gratefully. On a lighter note, she added "I'm going to start a list on all the things my aunt was wrong about. Like coming to Hogwarts, and keeping pets."

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 04:07

Raven cocked his head. Pets? That reminded him. Hmmm, first however he would have to ask her if she was afraid of frogs, but he didn't think she would be, but he could be wrong. "If you want help with that list, I'll be happy to help." He grinned. He loved proving people wrong, and if helped make someone happy in the process, all the more reason to do it.

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jul 2010, 12:49

"How can you help? Unless to plan on giving me Loki which I'll flat out refuse," she joked. The idea of getting a pet still unnerved her somewhat. Her aunt would certainly not approve and this would be the first time she'd actually do something to out rightly defy the woman.

"I don't know though... what if I can't look after it... what if it doesn't like me?.." she trailed off.

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 15:34

Raven raised his brow. "How can anything not like you, Sam? Once someone sees past your shyness and stuff your nice. You're a good cook, considerate, and yeah..." he shrugged. "I think you'd do great."
    That reminded him, looking at her he asked, "Are you afraid of any kind of animals in particular?"

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 15:41

Samantha blushed brilliantly at the praise, her gaze stuck firmly to the tiled floor of the kitchen. She wished her hair was not tied back so she could use them as some sort of shield. No one had ever told her this before and of all people, she had not expected to hear this from someone who had been kicking her wrist with force earlier.

Glad at the change of topic, she looked up at the mention of animals.

"Well, I don't know... I wasn't allowed any pets because my aunt said they were dirty and full of germs and had no place in the kitchen..." she trailed off. She didn't know if she was afraid of any animals. "But I don't mind Loki and Mabtusa," she added helpfully.

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 15:57

Raven grinned and replied, "Well, yeah, that's because they're cute! How could you not like them?"
    Pulling himself up to sit on the counter, he thought. "You need a starter pet. One that's not really all that high maintenance...."
    Looking around the immaculate kitchen, he wondered, "Are you afraid of bugs at all, Sam?"

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 16:10

Samantha winced at the mention of bugs. Her aunt had drilled into her how bugs and insects were the root of all evil and should never be shown any mercy - especially around a kitchen.

She had only ever seen one pest before, a huge rat that used to frequent her street - for leftovers no doubt - which her aunt had killed brutally right in front of the girl to teach her a lesson.

"I guess... I don't like bugs and rats and frogs and things..." she admitted softly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 16:24