Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strings in the tallest tower

Strings in the tallest tower Empty Strings in the tallest tower

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 02:31

Despite there being a music room in the Room of Requirement, Will found that the solitude of playing was more warranted. Reaching the tallest tower, which was technically lower than Ravenclaw tower, but vacant, he admired the view before setting down his case.

He visited the Forbidden Forest for a reason and that was to find unicorn hair. His adventure with Hilary was a great coincidence which proved fortuitous.

Opening the case, a sleek mahogany violin was perched carefully in it---well used, but still beautiful. But he reached not for it, but for the bow and disentangled the common horse hair from it.

After doing so, he pulled out the bushel of unicorn hair acquired from his trip. Silver from the adults and gold from the foal that was witnessed while visiting. Making sure it was neat and tightly wound, he attached it to his bow.

It is said that playing music with unicorn hair would yield almost the most magical of melodies. And that was something he'd happily try out to see if the rumors were true.

The bow now tightened with the hair, he finally brought out the violin and tuned it, the soft plucking of musical notes invading the quiet air. When he was satisfied with the tuning, he finally stood up in position, the bow resting along the violin's strings.

He gave himself a moment to breathe before immediately setting to it, driving the bow into a quick succession of Bach's Concerto in D Minor. While it was made for two violins, the unicorn hair seemed to make up for the other violin, providing two sounds that reverberated throughout the walls of the tower.

The music was completely and irrationally beautiful, even from his six years of violin practice he had not yield such sounds as he was now. The violin seemed to have a voice of it's own and began to sing with a bountiful air. It livened up his spirits.

Will continued to play, for the music was so beautiful he could not bear to quiet it for a second. It was pure magic thanks to the unicorn hair. Magic was given a voice---a sound.

He could play forever.

Strings in the tallest tower Empty Re: Strings in the tallest tower

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 02:59

Harmony poked her head in, locating the sound of the music she heard.

Ah ha! Thought it was a violin.

She and Mozart had had lessons when they were much younger, but when Mozart died she quit. She had lost all love for the violin without her brother by her side. She grinned, listening for a few more seconds before withdrawing her head from the doorway. She wouldn't bother him and his moment of peace.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 03:23

Dixie heard the sound of the violin playing when trying to find the Astronomy tower. She had paused for a moment, daring to hope that she heard the chords made by horse hair stroking strings. She wondered who could possibly be playing. She herself had played in her orchestra back at home, and she followed the music. It sounded much to beautiful to be played by a normal bow-she had gone to the concerts of the best violinists, but their bows had yet to reach that level of perfection.
    She stopped outside a door, and looked inside through a window. No way. Will was playing?What other secrets did this boy have? She listened, and stayed there, sinking to the floor and listening to the vibrato. Dixie simply listened.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:05

Will at one point had reached a crescendo and trailed his bow smoothly down, adding pressure to induce a stronger and louder sound in order to meet the requirements of it. The unicorn hair seemed to glisten and shiver brilliantly as he did so.

The rumors were right after all. Unicorn hair was truly remarkable for string instruments. It was like the most powerful wand in the world was in his fingertips. He eagerly tried something a little more elegant and quickly delved into Beethoven's Violin Sonata in G Major, the sweet playful sounds reverberating this time through the tower. It brought a grin to his face as his magical bow skipped through some of the profound notes of the tune.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:24

Part of Harmony wondered how Will was playing such intricate pieces for the violin. The first piece had needed a second violin, but he breezed right through it, even making it sound like there were two violins. Slowly, she peeked in again. Light refracted off the bow he was using to play the violin and she saw...silver and gold? Hmm...she would have to ponder this.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:33

The back of Will's hair stood on end as he reached an agitato in the tune, halting the music almost abruptly as he regretfully stopped the movements of his bow. He felt a presence. Was someone around?

Slowly lowering the instrument, he could hear creaks from the door as if someone had opened it. "Who's there?" Will said sharply, hiding the bow behind his back.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:36

Vanessa was walking down the corridors, looking for an empty classroom, to practice her music.
    As she walked through corridor after corridor, she heard the distinct sound of a string instrument.
    "Violin..." she whispers to herself.
    The sound the instrument produced was beautiful, but sounded odd to her conditioned ears. It didn't sound like a traditional violin, that much was obvious.
    It had been altered in some way; probably magically.
    She walked into the room where the music was coming from, with her instrument in tow, and was not surprised to see Will.
    She didn't really approve of magically enhancing the sound, because in a way it was like cheating.
    Doing so would make all the years of back-breaking practice be in vain.
    Nonetheless, she slid into the room being careful to not disturb anything lest it make unwanted sound.
    She waited until the last note of the piece he was playing tapered and vanish so she could speak:
    "How would you feel for a duet? Violin with Viola?"

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:40

Dixie had backed away earlier, and saw Harmy listening also. Hidden in the shadows, she flinched when Wills voice interupted his violins music. She had fallen under the spell of the song, and wished she herself had brought her violin, to practice. Staying hidden, she hoped Will wouldn't discover her listening.
    She wondered if he knew Canon in D, or perhaps the song Can Can, for the teachers to dance too. She let out a giggle when she remembered that particular piece of conversation on the train.
    Clapping her hands over her mouth, Dixie held her breath.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:43

Will, finding the intruder being a Gryffindor, lowered his bow behind his back only slightly.

"I was unaware that people overheard my playing. If I knew, I would've made a proper concert of it," Will lightly joked as he eyed the larger instrument in her hands. "How much do you know of the viola?"

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 04:56

Vanessa grinned, "I doubt I'm the only person whom heard you. You weren't exactly trying to be a sneak about it..."
    She lowered her case down on one of the desks and opened it. The case had a rich, deep emerald green color and inside was a nice Model 500/ 16" Otto Benjamin, with a flamed Pernambucco bow to accompany it.
    She took it out gently, as if handling a child, and started readying herself for practice.
    When she was done adjusting the shoulder rest, she placed her instrument inbetween her jaw and shoulder. She used her neck to keep it in place, while she tightened the bow appropriately.
    Finally, she turns back to Will and says, "I guess you could say I'm pretty good. I don't want to 'sound my own horn', but I've only been playing for about 2-3 years and I'm about the same as those whom have practiced for a couple years more. I had really rigorous training, and I would practice for at least an hour every single day...Of course, I usually practiced three hours or longer daily if I had a concert or audition"
    Vanessa turns back to her instrument and, keeping her bow over the fingerboard, she moved it and played her highest string: "A".
    Her tuner was a muggle electronic device, and she doubted it would work in the castle, so she turns to Will:
    "Play me your A? I just need a reference...Just for a few seconds, then I can go from there.."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:08

Setting his bow up carefully, he picked up his already tuned instrument and played the appropriate note for her, allowing the bow to play the note fully. He looked at the strange device curiously afterwards.

"I am unfamiliar with that peculiar piece," Will motioned at the muggle device. "Is it muggle related?"

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:11

Harmony backed up slightly away from the door, standing next to Dixie. She looked at her friend for a moment before listening in for more music. She wondered how Will had managed where so many others had failed. He had made the violin...sing. That was all there was to it. Not even her deceased brother, whom was a work of art in himself, could make the instrument he had loved produce that sweet a melody.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:17

Dixie looked at Charmy Harmy, and smiled.
    "Hes quite good, isn't he?" she whispered to her. She looked at Will, hoping he and the Gryff would just hurry up and play. Dixie pushed her glasses up her nose.
    "Ive heard Charlie Daniels, the Vitamin String Quartet, even concerts in New York, but he sounds much better."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:18

Looking up at Will, "Huh?- Oh, its a tuner and metronome. It doesn't work here, so its practically usless here, but it becomes the best friend, or the most annoying thin ever, to any musician..."
    She smiles, and listens to the pitch of his A.
    She would have to adjust, because her instrument has a differnt timbre.
    "Okay, thanks" she says after a couple seconds of memorizing the pitch.
    She uses the weight of her arm, to pull out the sound from the instrument and adjust the pitch according to what it should sound like.
    Her instrument doesn't have finetuners, so she has to use the pegs to to all thw work.
    Once she finishes with "A", she tunes her Dstring to her Astring, and so on, until she has all four strings as close as possible to their pitch.
    "I'm going to warm-up a little, so bear with me for a couple more mintues..."she says.
    Then, she goes on to play a three octave DMajor scale. She wanted to play a particular piece, and said piece was in DMajor.
    When she was done with the scale, she starts playing The Swan- Saint Saens

"Have you played this before? There's a an accompiment..."

Last edited by Vanessa Lopez on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:25; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:25

As Will patiently waited for Vanessa to warm up, he stared at his bow, wondering if he should replace the hair to make it a bit more fair. After all, his playing was just an experiment to see how unicorn hair differentiated from a regular horse's. While his playing was well, he concluded that the hair harmonized the tune more naturally than by ear, something he felt was very easy to perform with.

On the other hand, it was steadily addicting. If he had not heard someone come by, he was sure he would've played all night without stopping. He wondered if it had the same effect on listeners...

"I'm afraid I'll have to change my bow if we are to duet," Will admitted sheepishly to his companion. "It would be unfair to play with something advantageous if you want a true performance out of me."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:27

Vanessa smiles with approval, "Its not fair to yourself to play with anything that enhances a sound, that would take any other a decade to achieve in normal means...I want to get there the hard way. It gives you something to work for..."

(A/N: the piece I put in last post is a link to the song Smile )

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:36

"Clearly," Will set the bow down and searched his case for the spare. Not his most favorite of bows, but it would have to do. "I don't mix academics with pleasure if I have to," He said dryly as he tested the bow on his violin. He played a chord for good measure until he was satisfied with the sound.

A normal sound for a violinist, which he missed from the unicorn hair, but nevertheless the same skill. The only difference is that it would not enchant the listener as much as it previously did.

"I am aware of this song," Will answered her question as he raised his bow. "After you."

He allowed her to play first, so he may accompany next.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 05:58

Vanessa smiled, "Good boy"
    "-Okay,"
    She plays the first note and tries to keep a steady speed. She tried to not add her own spice, because it would make it harder for them to play together.
    She let herself get consumed by the lullaby, thinking of the few times she remembered her mother actually seeming to care.
    Vanessa has a distinct way of playing, and hopes her and Will can adapt to each other's style. She prefers to play slow and smooth melancholy pieces. Technically the version they were playing right now, was in B minor. It had an almost bitter-sweet sound.

(A/N: Btw the link is in another key altogether, because that one is a violin and piano duet...)

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 06:05

Recognizing the rather somber way she played, Will naturally counter-balanced with a more lighter tone to have both stick out, but coincide with each other easily. The piece was rather whimsical in nature and his particular style varied, merely to accompany if he was in a duet or ensemble.

If his companion played quick and lively, he mellowed with a low-pitched softness. If it was slow and sullen, he allowed his bow to dance. Will immediately matched pace with Vanessa when needed be.

It was indeed a bitter-sweet tune and he slowly tapered out to allow her playing to vividly stand out.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 06:13

Vanessa listened to Will's playing as much as hers.
    When playing with more than another musician, it was crucial you hear them almost as loudly as you hear the instrument right at your ear.
    Even though most of her functions were focused on the multi-task that is playing a viola/violin, she still heard Will play, and felt a smile tugging at the sides of her lips.
    He played with a type of grace that never ceased to intrigue her.
    It wasn't long until both people and instruments were breathing as one...
    It isn't known to much people whom have never played, that in some instances its not your desire to make it sing, but breathe.
    People don't hear the sound if its only sound you play.
    People notice the silence, the breaths, more than the sound itself.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 06:32

Finally reaching the end of the piece, Will allowed Vanessa the final notes, drawing his bow to hold the note as she did so.

It's been months since he had an accompaniment when playing music. He was almost sure he wouldn't get to playing due to classes. It was refreshing to say the least.

The piece drawing to a close and Will smoothly allowed his bow to cease, enjoying the last bits of the sounds dance around as echoes before finally lowering his violin. He grinned at her.

"A fascinating piece," He bowed his head at her. "It was a pleasure."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 07:17

Vanessa lifted her bow, instead of stopping it.
    She didn't lower her viola until the note had finally faltered and disappeared.
    She grinned, "So it was...You're very interesting to play with...Its been awhile since I've played with someone else, and be so in sync...Kudos"

(A/N: my hand hurts...i just practiced for a little more than an hour, and my hand wasn't as accustomed to playing for long anymore T.T the horror!)

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 07:28

Will raised his eyebrow at the term, 'kudos', but said nothing. It was probably some sort of muggle lingo.

He slowly began to detach the shoulder rest from his violin and dismantled everything else, returning the extra bows and instrument to it's proper place into the case. It was high-time he went back to his classes---his experiment now officially complete. Will gazed a bit longer at the bow with the unicorn hair before closing the case.

Standing back up, he smiled softly at Vanessa. "Perhaps next time we'll play again. And maybe with a proper audience? I enjoyed the duet."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 08:02

Vanessa turns away from Will to start packing up. She examines her strings and sees her C-string is already old and needsto be replaced.
    When she's done putting up everything, she turns back to Will and smiles in response to his smile.
    "Of course. That would be fun:)"

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 12:45

Nodding to her, Will grabbed up his violin case and prepared to leave the tower. He had a magical musical theory experiment to finish. As he said his goodbyes to the Gryffindor girl, Will started to curiously wonder if unicorn hair would do on an old acoustic guitar.

Hagrid did say that unicorn hair had very strong properties and were very difficult to snap or tear. He had tested that theory himself. By the time he walked down the steps back to the main corridors, his head was spinning of the possibilities of utilizing unicorn hair towards any kind of string instruments---maybe even a piano could do it if he replaced the strings inside of it...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 03:16