Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up in a tree

Up in a tree - Page 2 Empty Re: Up in a tree

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 16:24

Raven snorted pulling away. "My mother is Muggleborn, Reina. She does know what its like to have magic be a part of you. But can you tell me why a person who was happy about learning they were a witch would go on to detest it? As for my father, he was in Slytherin House. Can you start to see the picture?"

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 16:35

Reina nodded, crossing her arms and looking away. "Yes, it's a picture I'm all too familiar with." She sighed, closing her eyes and letting her head tip back against the tree. "All too familiar with. We sing about the same tune, you and I. It's revolting."

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 17:09

Raven calmed a bit and nodded as he too rested his head against the trunk of the tree again. "Parents can be so stupid...." He sighed as he frowned. He hated depressing subjects. An idea popped in his head and he smirked. "So, any idea what Will is afraid of so I can exploit it?"

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 17:11

Reina snickered. "You mean besides marrying me and that dog of his tearing up his precious bean bag chair? Not right now, but I'm sure I could find out." She looked at him and grinned wickedly. "He'd kill us both though."

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 17:41

Raven laughed at the thought of Hades ripping apart Will's bean bag chair. He would savor that thought. That did remind him, that he never did ask if Will knew about the bones he found in the dungeons. Shrugging it off for now, he nodded at Reina's suggestion. "Sure. That would be cool if you find out."

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 17:43

Reina nodded. He put her hand under her chin and pondered for a few moments. "What do you think the best way to trick him into telling me would be?" She thought about a couple things along the spectrum, from flat out asking to being subtle about it to reading his diary to cursing him. Though if she cursed him she'd probably get expelled.

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jul 2010, 18:33

Raven grinned and shrugged. "Why don't you tell me? You're the Ravenclaw. You have access to his room being in the same House and all."
    Furrowing his brow he asked, "Hey, Reina? Did you understand the Transfiguration lesson? We told her everything we thought, and it still doesn't seem to be good enough for Prof Mitchell."

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jul 2010, 12:28

Reina's eyes lit up. "She wants you to focus on all the little details and to use all your senses. For instance, here," She knelt down and picked up a frog that had been resting near her feet. "Look at the frog and tell me about it. Don't just say that it's green, it has two eyes, and webbed feet, but tell me what it feels like, what it sounds like, what it smells like. These are the details she wants, because all of them help you more vividly think about what you're conjuring. So close your eyes and describe the frog."

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 16:00

Raven frowned at looked at the frog. He shook his head. "No. I get it, but I still think she demands too much of us. We can tell her everything we observe and it still won't be enough. The truth is, she can try and explain until she's blue in the face, and some people still won't get it. Some people just aren't good at observation. Others learn differently and you'll have to try and explain it another way for them to get it. If you keep telling them over and over the same way, they get frustrated."

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jul 2010, 16:08

Reina thought for a moment. "You're right, but I'm not sure how to explain it differently. Observation is obviously important, because it's all about recreating the object in your head so that you have a clear focus on what you're going to be conjuring. You to be able to see it like it's in front of you without it being in front of you."

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jul 2010, 11:28

Raven raised a brow. "So then tell me, Reina. How would you describe something from only a picture? Something that you have never seen, touched, tasted, smelled, whatever? Would you be able to accurately describe it? The answer would be no. Someone who has no experience with something, cannot explain it as well as someone who has."

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jul 2010, 11:36

"You're right, of course." Reina said, but she was still thinking. "I suppose Professor Mitchell should have stressed that it isn't the object in the picture that's important, but the ability to use observation, to use your senses to conjure what you need to conjure when it matters most. For instance, a match into a sword." She shrugged.

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jul 2010, 12:25

Raven felt his eye twitch. What was it with people? Was he not using clear enough English for them to understand him? Taking a couple deep breaths to calm himself down so he wouldn't say anything too nasty, he looked at the Ravenclaw. And she was supposed to be smart. That is why she was in Ravenclaw right? "Reina," he tried to keep his tone calm. "You still fail to grasp what I just said as well and repeated yourself. I have to go back to the castle. I hope you work out whatever problems you have. Have fun observing in Transfiguration."

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jul 2010, 12:50

Reina rolled her eyes and sighed shaking her head. What had she done, now? Did he still not understand that if you couldn't picture it in your mind there was no way to conjure it? You can't conjure out of thin air, Transfiguration was an intimate art. If you were no good at observation, you can't do transfiguration. "Just go, Drake. We won't discuss Transfiguration anymore."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:05

Raven frowned and growled. Running his hand through his hair frustratedly he took a deep breath before releasing it. This wasn't what he wanted to do when he came out here. He had meant to relax and he was sure, so had she. He had to go and screw it up. "Look, I'm sorry, Reina. I'm just...sorry. I didn't mean it the way it came out. I don't want to lose one of my friends over a stupid argument, so..."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:13

Reina threw back her head and laughed. Poor boy, he thought she'd stop bbeing friends with him just because they disagreed over a class? He really didn't understand girls then, she decided. "Rae, don't worry about it. We just disagree, no big deal. Water under the bridge, as the muggles say."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:18

Relieved, Raven nodded and smiled back. Kicking at the dirt he eyed the frog in Reina's hands. He wondered if she was going to keep the frog or not. He also wondered if it was a boy or girl. That made him wonder if his own frog was a boy or girl. Canting his head he frowned. He thought he heard somewhere that frogs were unisex or something. Shaking his head, he grinned at his friend. "So, you in a better mood now?"

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:21

Reina grinned. "Yes. Thank you for coming out here and talking to me." She stroked the frog's back and before putting him down. She watched him hop away and leaned against the trunk of the tree, reaching up and grabbing a low branch. "It's rather pretty right here, isn't it." She stared out at the water.

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:27

Raven looked over the water and couldn't help but grin. Every time he saw the lake now, he pictured what it looked like when he and Dixie blew it up. That was awesome! Probably why the little froggy Reina had been holding was so far from it. He nodded. "Yeah. It really is. It's also my favorite spot on the grounds."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:29

Reina nodded. "It's mine too. It's so peaceful, most of the time, so still. Unmoving, unchanging. It's like the rest of the world doesn't exist. It's outside of time." She sighed, pulling herself up onto the branch and moving to put her back against the trunk. "I could sit here forever."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:41

Raven looked up at her. "Really? As beautiful as it is, I don't think I'd want something to last forever like that. I think what makes something so beautiful, is because its so fleeting. Because of that, we treasure i. If it was forever, we would take it for granted.
    If that makes any sense?" Raven wondered. He knew he had difficulty explaining himself sometimes.
    "Besides," he smiled. "How boring would it be if you stayed here forever? Life is more fun when you're out doing stuff."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:47

Reina grinned. "Yeah, you have a point. But I still wish some things would last forever. Things change much too quickly in my humble opinion. Sometimes I don't like it. I like coming here to see something familiar, something that has withstood change." She shook her head gazing out unto the water.

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:50

Raven canted his head at that and slowly shook his head. He was a bit hesitant to argue with her again, but...."I think you're wrong. Nothing is unchanging except for time. Even Landscapes change over time and that is why maps are continuously updated. Even the Lake I'm sure was bigger or smaller at one point. Even rocks change shape."

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:53

Reina chuckled. "Yeah, but we don't notice it. You and I will always gaze out unto this lake and think it's looks the same today as it did yesterday, as it did last term, as it did the first day we saw it even on our last day here. We'll know it's not the same, just like we won't be the same, but it will seem the same, and it will be about the only thing that will." She sighed.

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:56

Raven blinked at her and smiled as he shook his head. "See, this is why I don't think. I just tend to act. Of course, if I thought, I would probably still act the way I do. So," he shrugged. "I just cut out the middle man and don't think."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 09:23