Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flying For Beginners

Flying For Beginners - Page 5 Empty Re: Flying For Beginners

Post by Guest Wed 04 Aug 2010, 15:26

Vanessa smiled at the fact that Sam was comfortable enough to make jokes in front of her.
    She then looked from Sam and the broom that had previously tried to attack her, and said, "Knock yourself out...Er. Not literally, though..."

Post by Guest Wed 04 Aug 2010, 17:10

Laughing a little, Samantha instructor the Gryffindor on how to keep her own broom straight. Once she was sure it would support her weight, she jumped up on it.

‘Salazar, this feels so much better,” she grinned, now sitting side saddle on her broom. She knew all about aerodynamics and stable positioning as well as the body’s center of gravity but riding a broom sitting like all the others just didn’t feel right. To her surprise, she found that sitting side saddle helped her balance a lot more than previously.

“You can let go now, Nessa,” she said. “And try mounting your own broom. Don’t worry, I’ll glare at it if it tries to throw you of,” she said with a giggle, still euphoric from having managed to not only make a broom come to her but discover the perfect position for herself.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 01:25

Vanessa let go of Sam's brrom when she was steady. She went back to her own broom, and looked at in uncertainly. "Okay. I trust you,"she finally said.
    She tightened her grip on her broom. After thinking over the the level of stupidity of what she was doing, she threw a leg over the side of the broom.
    "I'm I doing it right?"

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 01:33

“You’re doing great,” the witch assured Nessa. “Professor Lewis says we need to balance ourselves. So just shift around until you find a spot you feel secure in. Like – odd as it is – I feel secure sitting like this.”

“Here, I’ll hold your broom steady while you try to find your center of gravity,” the Slytherin offered, hopping off her broom gracefully and holding on to Nessa. To her secret delight, her own broom stayed in midair the way it was.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 03:46

Vanessa smiled slightly at Sam. "Thanks"
    She shifted her weight so she felt some type of comfort, and turned back to Sam.
    "Now am I doing it right?"she asked.
    She was still feeling a tad bit nervous, but she had do get this over with.
    "Do we take off at the same time?"

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:19

Harmony smiled over at Raven, nodding her head.

"It's fine, Rae-Rae. You seem to have a firm grasp on the concept. Just make sure to stay calm when we actually get off the ground, otherwise you might tumble off." She said. "And I don't think I'm strong enough to catch you. You'll be a natural in no time."

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:39

“As long as you feel comfortable and not like you’re going to slide off, I guess it’s alright,” the Slytherin replied “Oh, and we’re not supposed to kick off yet, Professor Lewis doesn’t want any accidents,” she continued seeing the Gryffindor about to kick off.

Now that Samantha was sure Nessa was safe on her broom, the girl walked back to her own obedient one and hopped up, side saddle. Hopefully they’d be able to kick off soon.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 22:55

"Yes I am! Are you Jennifer Lupin?" Alex discreetly crossed her fingers as she addressed the Ravenclaw brunette, then realising she was still in the process of hitting her broom she dropped it. She smiled as she noticed the face the girl made at her broom and winced as she remembered her own 'battle' with the broom. "Pretty bad, huh? I would know by experience."

Last edited by Alexandria Black on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 01:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 01:09

Samantha Quill Wrote:

“As long as you feel comfortable and not like you’re going to slide off, I guess it’s alright,” the Slytherin replied “Oh, and we’re not supposed to kick off yet, Professor Lewis doesn’t want any accidents,” she continued seeing the Gryffindor about to kick off.

Now that Samantha was sure Nessa was safe on her broom, the girl walked back to her own obedient one and hopped up, side saddle. Hopefully they’d be able to kick off soon.

Vanessa smiled at Sam for her help, and relaxed her grip on the broom.
    "Well, that's understandable. Besides, I have a feeling I would be one of those that crash, or something stupid...I mean, I've always liked speed and adrenaline rushes, but this is entirely different! Sorry, I'm rambling again!"
    She didn't know how she had come to be a nervous rambler, but alas, she was. Every time she was nervous or worried over something, she would tend to ramble. Normally it was her diary that took all the brunt of it, but occasionally other people were subjected to it as well.
    She fingered the handle of the broom, hoping it wouldn't decide to throw her off last minute.

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 01:21

“Don’t worry about it, at least you like speed. I don’t, I’ll just be happy to fly at a normal pace and not crash anywhere,” the girl admitted. It was true, she was not the fast paced action type, preferring a day reading by the forest or baking in her kitchen. But flying was becoming an exciting prospect. She hoped they’d be able to kick off soon.

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 01:27

Rebecca Null wrote:Rebecca smiled at Dixie. She made it look easy. Rebecca still saw in her minds eye the broom bucking her off or even taking off on its own with her still on it. It could end very messy. Rebecca tried to clear her mind of those thoughts though. It was all how she saw it. That is what her Aunt told her. If she didn't see herself falling of then she wouldn't.

Rebecca waited for Dixie to get off the broom and then she tried her hand at it. She made sure that she was going to get on the middle of it and that the handle was in front of her. She threw her leg over and sat down. The only thing the broom did was sort of give a shake like it was getting used to her. She turned to Dixie.

"Did I do it right?"

Dixie watched Rebecca mount her broom, and was momentarily alarmed when her broom shook. Sighing in relief when the broom became still, she noted that Rebecca actually looked at home on a broom, beneath her nervousness.
    "Actually, that was pretty good! You look like you were born on a broom," she mused, pushing her glasses up her nose again.

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 02:27

Vanessa listened to Sam with a tiny smile.
    "Well, I only like speed because in teh muggle world there wsa things called roller-coasters. I can't find a good way to explain them without sounding ridiculous, so I wont..-That's always nice. There's nothing better than a nice book, and pretty scenery."
    Despite feeling like she going to be sick, she wasn't feeling as nervous about flying as she had a couple minutes ago. Perhaps it was due to Sam?
    Her words had managed to calm some of Vanessa's overactive nerves.

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 02:31

Harmony Lupin wrote:Harmony smiled over at Raven, nodding her head.

"It's fine, Rae-Rae. You seem to have a firm grasp on the concept. Just make sure to stay calm when we actually get off the ground, otherwise you might tumble off." She said. "And I don't think I'm strong enough to catch you. You'll be a natural in no time."

Raven glared at Harmony's suggestion that he would tumble off and that she was weak. Taking a deep breath he looked around at what the others were doing. Then looking back at Harmony he nodded. He took a couple breaths to steady himself until he felt relaxed. He would be sure to just hover and not fly too high. After all, this was their first lesson. It wasn't like they were expected to experts this first lesson, right?

Post by Guest Fri 06 Aug 2010, 05:34

Harmony leaned forward slightly, grinning at Rae-Rae as she balanced on her broom.

"No glaring at me, Rae-Rae," she said, shaking her finger at him. "I get that enough with the infamous scary Black glare, thank you very much."

Harmony laughed to herself. "I wonder how high we'll get to go! I wonder if these brooms will hold us as well. I've heard that they are very old..."

Post by Guest Sat 07 Aug 2010, 17:54

Alex was excited now she folwoed Lauren over to the brooms and picked one up. She had learned how to fly but she wasn't very confident and se was not a natural flyer but she hoped that with practice she would be able to impove. They walked over to a space slightly away from everybody else.

Post by Guest Sun 08 Aug 2010, 08:17

Rebecca blushed at Dixie's comment. She would have to have someone take her picture and show it to her while she was on a broom sometime. She was getting more confident due to Dixie's help and praise. She was just hoping that she was giving the Hufflepuff just as much help, mentally and physically.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 11:37

"Alright class, seems everyone looks comfortable and found a good place to sit on the broom." She took in everyone. "Once you've established that you each can have your own broom, as I know some of you already did that. Those who were sharing can go ahead and grab theirs. Now don't rush this part, as I know some of you are very nervous." she glanced around as some of their faces. "I was you to kick off gently." she placed herself correctly on the broom and lightly pushed off with her feet, the broom rose a few inches off the ground. "I don't want anyone going higher then a few feet in the air. I want everyone to get comfortable with just being able to float off the ground a little. That way IF you fall you wont fall very far. Lets hope no one falls." she leaned forward a little and her broom started going slowly straight. "To go straight if you desire just lean forward just a bit and to stop just straighten yourself. If you want to try turns just grip your handle lightly and tilt push the handle the way you want to turn." she demonstrated turning left and right and stopped at the other side of the students. "Only do this if you feel comfortable enough, if your not comfortable feel free to take as much time as you want." she told the class.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 13:53

Not for the first time, Dimitri was late. Really late this time. He had gotten lost in one of the corridors, and then a staircase had swivelled on him, and suddenly he had no idea where he was going. This chain of events ended with him running towards the class as fast as he could, hoping that this professor was not as vindictive as some of the ones from Durmstrang.

"Dimitri... Krum," he managed to gasp out as he drew close enough, doubling over and panting. Although Dimitri was a fit boy, it had been a long run. "Sorry... I'm late."

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 18:44

Mary ran as quickly she could, she has got to stop being late for classes! Seeing as she just woke up from her nap, she was wearing two different socks and her sweater was inside out. She panted from the run all the way from the school (and up from the dungeons, it was far!). Luckily, Mary caught all the speach the professor made and saw that she wasn't he only one late.
    "Professor I'm sorry." she managed to say, cluthing her side. She noticed there was a free broom and went to it's side, still panting terribly.
    Before she cold attempt to fly, she had to calm herself down, so she just stood there, breathing heavily.

Last edited by Mary McNeely on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 18:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i wrote sweat instead of sweater before)

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 18:57

Cat nodded along with the Prof.'s lecture, excitement growing. "Here," she said, passing the broom to Yuki. "I'll get a new one." She picked another one up and lightly jogged back. Looking around she noticed a couple of students sprinting up and shrugged. Oops.

The Ravenclaw looked around nervously. She really didn't want to be the first one, but she glued her eyes to her broom and sat the way she had practised. Next, Cat started bouncing on the balls of her feet, allowing herself to get a couple of inches into the air like small jumps.

Cat licked her lips nervously. Well, she thought, here goes. Lightly she pressed her feet into the ground before bringing them up to tuck behind her. She was a foot or two off of the ground and it took her a couple of goes to get her feet locked into a comfortable position on the broom.

A shaky grin formed on her face and she twisted her wrist slightly to the left. The broom twisted with her. Right. Same thing happened. The grin was broad now and she went forward a couple of paces before turning around and coming back.

Cat slowly turned the broom in a circle around her partner, almost giggling now, then turned it back to face the professor.

That was fun.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 22:52

Glancing at Vane4ssa one last time to make sure the girl was safe on her broom, Samantha started to kick off. She was sure the hard part was over. Her broom was obedient, she had found her position, now only the flying remained.

Feeling confident, she tapped her right heel gently to the pitch and pushed off, applying leverage.

It was better than anything she could have imagined, she was in the air, she was soaring, the ground as going further-

Lurch!

She wasn’t in the air; she was down on all four on the dewy grass. Her traitorous broom had buckled under her and thrown her off. Thank Salazar she had only been two feet in the air.

The witch blushed in embarrassment as her broom lay silently beside her, mocking her. The evil thing had chosen the perfect time. Not only were all her classmates present but Mary and the new boy had just shown up in time to see her make a fool of herself. She lowered her head, hiding her flaming cheeks behind her curtain of raven hair.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 23:14

Mary was still panting by her broom when Sam fell off her broom and she hurried to help her on her feet.
    "You okay? Don't worry, soon, that'll be me, too." she tried to turn this whole thing on a joke. It was true, though.
    I mean, I fell down the stairs before, I'm gonna be off that broom before anybody'll count to 5! she thought, a bit angry with herself. She was such a clutz, but she couldn't help it.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 23:20

“S-sorry,” the witch said, still mortified. At least no one was laughing. It must be quite a feat seeing as she probably looked ridiculous.

Trying to take her mind of it, she turned her attention to Mary.

“You… have a partner? You know what to do?” Seeing as Mary had come late, she had probably missed the first part of Professor Lewis’ speech and Samantha wanted to help her housemate out.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 23:28

Mary was glad noone was laughing at Sam, she didn't need that now. And anyway, they were all probably wondering whether they'll fall down, too.
    "Erm, no, actually. I have no idea what to do." Mary said, panicking a little.
    "Can't I just pick the broom up and start flying? And then falling down?" she asked in a small voice.

Post by Guest Fri 13 Aug 2010, 23:43

“Uh… no,” replied the witch confused. Getting to her feet, she pointed to her broom. “Up,” the broom flew into her hands.

“You have to try to make your broom come to you first, Mary. Though just because it does at first doesn’t mean it will obey later on,” she blushed.

“Just be firm with it and it should be able to come up to you.”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content