Within the depths

Re: Within the depths

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 04:11

Shelby nodded and gave him a small smile. "I'm fine now," she took off her school robe, spread it out on the ground like a blanket and sat down before continuing.

"I just wanted to apologize for running off yesterday. It was a reaction that I couldn't really control, but it was still very rude of me and I'm sorry," she looked out at the lake, nervously awaiting his response. She was terrified that her apology wasn't good enough and that he was angry at her.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 04:26

Indiana was a bit bewildered. He certainly was expecting to be yelled at but Shelby was apologizing for her running off instead. Is he assuming too much? Taking his cloak off and placing it in a spread next to Shelby, Indiana sat down next to her, sensing the apprehension.

"It's alright, Shelby." Indiana replied calmly and sincerely, hoping to calm the tension. "I'm sorry if I went overboard with the tactics as I got too carried away in the midst of that round. I thought that you were angry over that when you left so suddenly."

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 04:56

"Overboard? What are you talking about? You were fantastic! I would have done the same thing in your position. I'm not angry at you, I thought you were angry at me," Shelby said. She realized that he would, no doubt, be confused as to why she left so she started to explain.

"Please don't laugh but," she wasn't sure how to continue until she remembered the advice Hilary had given her. "I don't like dirt. Or germs. Mostly germs, but dirt is... dirty," she repeated what she had said to Hilary word for word, right down to the hesitant pause. She still couldn't think of a better word to describe dirt. "That's why I ran away."

Figuring it wouldn't hurt to elaborate, she continued. "When you threw the balloons near my feet, the dirt got a little more muddy and when I fell, it got on me. I know it's completely irrational, but when that happens, I have to wash it off. Immediately. I can't help it. That's why my detention with Professor Ellis was particularly hard for me. I mean, I was wearing gloves and when we were done, I still took two showers and washed my hands so many times that I couldn't even keep track," she held out her hands to show him the pink tinge where her still healing skin had been rubbed raw. "Did you know that the average human body has fifty thousand bacteria per square inch?"

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:26

Indiana listened to Shelby's explanation and her apparent phobia. It seemed to explain a good deal on her behavior that end of their water balloon battle. When he saw her hands, the youth internally winced in seeing the raw areas that looked as though she had been scrubbing really hard.

"I was under the impression that the number was a little bit higher if the pathogenic bacteria that constantly attempt to invade some areas are included. But I never read into microbiology or immunology so I really don't know anything in those two fields."

Indiana then addressed the issue on germs. "That's understandable and in a way, I'm very much on the same boat in regards to that issue on germs."

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:53

"I wish I could be normal. I wish that I wasn't afraid to shake people's hands. I wish that I didn't carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go, just in case I have to shake someone's hand. I wish I didn't carry an extra bottle of it with me everywhere I go, just in case I lose the first one," Shelby said quietly. "I wish that I didn't wrap my robes around my hand every time I have to touch a doorknob. I wish I didn't run away from having fun because I had to get the mud off of me. And I wish I didn't feel like the mud was still there even when I can see that it's gone."

"In what way are you in the same boat?" she asked. She couldn't help but feel skeptical. Her other friends had been understanding about it, but they had never said anything that seemed to indicate that they could relate.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 06:12

"It would be nice to see if there is a spell that can cast a cleansing flame that burns away undesired residues without harming the person in the way light illuminates through the darkness without harming whatever it shines on." Indiana replied.

"As for being in the same boat, I'll be frank to admit that I have an abnormal fear of cockroaches due to their being carriers of diseases and all sorts of filth. I won't even get anywhere near Cockroach Clusters that are apparently sold at sweet shops!" the youth spoke with a large shiver in his tone and form. "Every time I see one, I would freak out before trying to catch and get rid of it. After that, I would end up washing my hands and the room that I found it roaming about with water, soap, and alcohol to the point that Nonette once commented that I was trying to have traces of the cockroach's presence be erased from existence."

Even after he finished talking, Indiana was still shivering as though he had seen a scary ghost.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 06:21

"Cockroaches are creepy," Shelby agreed. "I can't blame you for doing that. I'd probably do the same," she was glad that she'd never actually seen a real cockroach.

His shivers invoked a protective response in Shelby. She'd never seen him look so oddly vulnerable as he did in that moment. "You really were great yesterday," she said, trying to change the subject so he didn't have to think about cockroaches anymore. "That was a very clever plan of attack."

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 07:08

Indiana was thankful that he didn't have to talk further on the issue due to a change in subject. He calmed down before replying to Shelby's compliments. "Thanks. I think you did fine as well. It's not everyday that projectiles that a Shield Charm can block can find its way around to the target."

Indiana had to admit that even though Shelby only manage to land a few shots on him despite having the Shield Charm up, he couldn't rely on it alone for protection. It's risky to put all the eggs in one basket.

The youth then looked out at the lake, thinking to himself.'It's a pity that going down to the bottom of the lake isn't an option anymore. I wonder if magic can cause an octopus from an existing species to change a little bit from what it used to be.'

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:22

"Thanks," Shelby replied, meaning it for more that just his comment on her water balloon battle skills. She was immensely glad that he didn't seem to think that she was completely crazy, and by telling her about one of his own quirks, he had made her feel much better.

She followed Indiana's gaze out to the water. "Do you think Hannibal and Christopher get along?"

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:41

Indiana narrowed his eyes at the water of the lake. Oh, he still felt angry at the giant octopus for what it had done to him that one morning.

"I'm not sure." Indiana replied. "Even though I only saw a brief glimpse of Hannibal, it looked like he had been in the lake for quite a long time, given the size and the skin texture for starters. There's no doubt that Christopher knows of Hannibal's presence but I think the two tend to let each other be."

"Do you think that magic could actually change certain minute features of an individual from an existing species, causing it to deviate in growth and appearance? Christopher and Hannibal seem to have no problems living in freshwater even though both of them are suppose to be saltwater creatures."

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:47

Shelby considered his question. "I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I mean, if people can transfigure their own features and even change completely into animals, so why wouldn't they be able to change the features of an animal?" she reasoned.

"Are you going to Theresa and Hilary's party?" she asked abruptly.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 13:02

"I'd be astounded on magic being able to go further than just changing appearances such as if it can also manipulate one's genetics." Indiana replied. Perhaps that happened to both Christopher and Hannibal.

The youth then turned to the subject on the inter-house costume party. He did get an invitation.

"Well, I'm still thinking about that costume party." the youth replied with a grin. Oh, he would be there alright but he won't tell Shelby on what costume that he'll be wearing.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 13:14

"Thinking about going or thinking about what costume you'll wear?" Shelby asked. "I'm going as a princess. The moment I heard it was going to be a costume party, I wrote my parents to have them send me my outfit from last year's Halloween party and it got here this morning," she grinned, thinking of the pink dress, matching opera gloves, and sparkly tiara that were waiting for her upstairs in her dormitory.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 13:47

"The latter." Indiana replied. "I'm still thinking on what costume to go in. I'll probably need some time to think on that part."

The youth had planned on heading to his dorm to get the hawk-like mask that had the large circular opal visor along with acquiring the indigo attire of a noble with a large black cloak. But Indiana had some doubts on wearing that arrangement so he needed to think of something else.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 13:53

"Maybe you could go as a ninja or something," Shelby suggested.

"Or you could come as Will Black under punishment from Professor Williams. I might be able to scrounge up some Ravenclaw robes, a tiara, and some earrings for you," she giggled at the thought of Indiana wearing a tiara. She knew that Theresa would practically die laughing if he showed up in a Will Black costume.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 13:58

Indiana shook his head. "A ninja is a bit too morbid for an occasion like this."

The youth slightly grinned at the mention of Will Black. "Your Head of House sure has a vicious streak with punishments.He should be fortunate that Professor Williams didn't have him wearing drag. Otherwise, he would also be wearing a ball gown and then I would have to call him Wilhelmina Black instead of Will Black."

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 14:11

"I swear I heard one of his friends call him Wilma in the Great Hall the other day," Shelby laughed. "I wouldn't mind being forced to wear a tiara," she said thoughtfully. She adored the tiara her father had given her and she would wear it every day if people wouldn't think she was crazy. "Of course, she'd probably make me wear something bad, like a dog collar like Harmony had to wear. Or the Stupid Hat," Shelby shuddered at the idea of having to wear the Stupid Hat for a few days.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 14:55

Indiana nodded, remembering on how he had heard Raven call Will by that name when the latter was sitting and eating at the Hufflepuff table once. After hearing about the punishments that Professor Williams had handed to two other students, the youth knew that she was certainly someone not to cross paths against, especially if the students that the Head of Ravenclaw punishes have to endure the torment of wearing ridiculous items.

Indiana stood up and took his cloak off the ground. "Anyways, I'm heading back inside. Hopefully, I can think about what costume to wear."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 21 Jul 2017, 12:48