A walk and an explanation

A walk and an explanation

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 12:10

Reina held the library book under her arm, strolling along the water's edge. She was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans rolled up past her ankles. She had abandoned her shoes next to her bag.

The water and the air were cooler now, and Rei could smell the forth coming change in season. She strolled a few more steps, taking in the smell of the crisp air. The wind rippled through her unbound hair, as though it was playing with it. She took another step before turning around and walking back in the direction she had come.

Re: A walk and an explanation

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 12:36

Will looked at the letter he received by owl and made his way down to the Lake, a bit wary of the invite. He wasn't curious about Rei's letter since it was her business alone. Not his. However, she contacted him for an explanation and he decided to take it.

He noticed her walking around the shallow shore of the lake and came quietly.

"Hey," Will said with a small wave.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 12:39

"Hey." She didn't look up when she heard him approaching. She had been staring out into the water, something she had grown fond of doing. She sat down by the shore, drawing her knees up, and opened the book, the page bookmarked with the letter. "Come here." She motioned for him to sit down next to her.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 12:43

Will stood warily for a moment before acquiescing, taking a seat next to her. He sighed for a moment. He wondered if there was more bad news.

"Did you want to ask me something?" He finally said after a small silence. His grandmother owled him not to worry, but these days he couldn't help but think about it.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 12:56

Reina shook her head slightly. "No, I wanted to show you something." She moved closer to him, moving the heavy book, Twenty-first Century Blacks: the Black family after Regulus and Sirius, unto his lap. She moved the letter away from the page so she could show him the photograph properly.

"Alex is my first cousin. Her mother is my father's twin. That's her, Esmeralda Black," She pointed out the girl with curly black hair holding unto her father's arm. "next to my father and my mother." She pointed out the dark curly haired Slytherin with his arm around the neck of a pale Ravenclaw who looked too much like Reina.

She moved her hand away to reveal the other two students in the photograph, one a boy who wore his dark hair longer, leaning his head against Esmeralda's waist. His arms were around a shy looking girl with piercing eyes. A silver wristwatch was clearly visible on the boy's wrist. Reina looked at Will.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 13:12

Will leaned over, suddenly curious. He never seen such a book before. His eyes followed the pictures as Reina dictated it.

He saw Reina's mother and father, obviously young in the photograph. Her father seemed to have some of the dark characteristics of the Black family, no doubt Sirius' son.

When she moved her hand away, he noticed a familiar silver watch on another boy's hand. He looked like his father. And the girl he was holding. She had Will's blue eyes.

His throat suddenly became tight. Light brown curls and blue eyes. That heart-shaped face and modest air about her.

It was his mother.

"I..." For some reason, he couldn't speak, his mother innocently staring back at him from the photo.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 13:27

Reina leaned her head against Will's shoulder, closing her eyes. "They all went to school together." She whispered. "They were friends." She let a tear slip down her cheek. She opened her eyes again, gazing at the photo. She brushed her fingers against the image of her parents. "How old were you when they died?"

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 13:39

Will almost didn't answer, too engrossed in the picture of his youthful parents. It dredged up too many memories.

"My father died from a dragon mishap when I was four," He said slowly. He was probably the only one he couldn't fully remember. He didn't remember his voice, face...nothing. "Mum died from some kind of muggle illness when I was six."

His mum didn't look so sick and feeble in the picture as he remembered her as a child. She looked healthy and shy, but happy. He almost felt cheated.

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 13:50

Reina buried her face against his arm for a moment, more tears streaming down her cheeks. So much made sense now. She understood now, she knew why her father was the way he was, it wasn't blood purity, it was mourning. He lost his sister to her muggle marriage, he lost Sarah, his childhood friend, to a muggle illness. The proposal wasn't for blood purity, it was for family.

She looked back at the photo again, moving the letter out of the book. "This isn't for me." She said softly, blinking back tears. "It's for you."

Post by Guest on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 14:00

Will was only able to wrench his gaze from the photo to look at the familiar looking letter. "It's mine?" He took the letter, looking back at Reina. "What's it for?"

The letter looked a bit worn as if it was handled around more than usual. He didn't expect any letter other than from his grandmother.

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Aug 2010, 00:48

Reina looked down at the letter and wiped away another tear. "It's from my mother." She unfolded it in Will's lap and a photograph fell out and landed face down. The back, scrawled in fancy handwriting, read "Valerian, Athena, and Reina, Merry Christmas! Love, Volantis, Sarah, and Will." Reina picked it up and looked at it, and tears rolled down her cheeks.

Will was just a baby in his mother's arms, grinning toothless at his father, who wrapped his arms around them both. It looked like it was snowing in the backround. She handed it to Will, wiping her eyes.

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Aug 2010, 11:17

Will hesitantly took it, looking at the picture. It looked almost foreign to him. He couldn't remember that moment in time before. He watched with a mesmerizing air as the picture's occupants moved, obviously a wizarding picture.

It was surreal. "I don't remember that." He said finally. Of course, he was just a baby, but it was so strange to see.

It was probably the only picture he saw where she looked healthy around him. "Can I have it?"

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 03:33

Reina nodded. "My mother sent it to you. Here." She handed the letter over to him. She looked out over the lake, watching the sunlight glisten over the water. It had been a long day. She moved away from Will a bit so she could stretch her arms before she got up.

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 04:44

Will took the letter along with the photo, raising his eyebrow at Reina for a moment before resigning himself to read.

The writing was illegible for him due to how the curved calligraphy of Reina's mother's handwriting. He could barely make out the loopy characters which looked as if it was well made and thought out. He almost regretted not being able to read it.

His mouth in a thin line, he looked back at the stretching Ravenclaw. "I can't understand it, sorry."

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 07:06

Reina sighed, taking the letter. She looked down at the handwriting, so precise and perfect, purposely running together as though written in a different alphabet. "It's only recognizable to the proper eyes." She drew out her wand, taping it against the parchment. "Nox." The letters spread out and the parchment flew out from her hand.

"Dear Will," Came the sound of her mother's voice. "I'm sorry for the disturbance placed upon you by Valerian and myself. Please do not think badly of us for the purposed arrangement. As your grandmother has told us she will not make a decision until your fifth year, please do not let this impede upon your friendship with my daughter. That is the absolute last thing I want to happen.

If you've not yet discovered the book in the library, you soon will. Treasure the knowledge it will provide you. Valerian and I knew your parents well, Will. They were our friends for many years. You must understand, Valerian lost his sister to your family's blood purity beliefs. It is not just for our daughter that we purposed, but for you as well. To see you disowned and thrown out would hurt us as if it was our own daughter. I promised Sarah I would not allow your grandmother to disown you. She loved you so much Will, and she wanted only your happiness. Valerian and I do not wish to force you to marry Reina, we only want to preserve both of you within the family line, so that the House of Black may pass into more capable hands.

May Sarah and Volantis watch over you,
    Athena Nox."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 10:47