Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samantha's Bakery

Samantha's Bakery - Page 3 Empty Re: Samantha's Bakery

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:24

"Oh," Irene blushed, "I wouldn't consider myself an expert, I've just made it at home a few times." She nervously waited for everyone else to take their first bite, she was worried nobody would like it.
    Now that the cheesecake was finished, she decided that more sweets were necessary, maybe chocolate chip cookies next?

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:33

Vanesa smiled and laughed at Indiana's expression. She thought it was to be expected, people wouldn't normally think she could eat so much.
    "Nice to meet you, Indiana.-Sam's right, I always eat. Especially during ungodly hours of the night!"
    Vanessa gets her slice of cheesecake on the plate, and took a bite out of the cheesecake.
    It had been in her mouth for only a couple seconds before she exclaims, "Oh my god! This is delicious! I'm definitely coming here more often!"

(A/N: This is making me crave cheesecake T.T)

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:34

Indiana looked at the cheesecake neutrally while internally holding back a nostalgia that brought back some old memories. His late mother made cheesecake for the family when she was still alive and that was certainly something that he would cherish for eternity.

Picking up a fork, he slowly sliced a small portion before tasting it. It tasted good and there was no doubt about it.

"This is very good even if it was the first time you tried making it." Indiana remarked, nodding with approval at Samantha and then at Irene.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:39

Irene grinned before taking a bite herself. As she savored the amazing taste she thought about the power of food. Sure, she was in a magic school, but food held so much more power and magic than any waving of a wand. With a mouth-full of the cheesecake, all she could think about was her mother. The woman's long brown hair and laughing eyes, the way she'd put her hands over Irene's small ones and guide the little girl in beating eggs, the way she looked in her coffin. With a sob, Irene ran from the room, leaving behind the half-eaten cheesecake.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:42

"Thank you," the girl replied, head lowered. Seeing as he had been the first to make her curious about this strange cuisine, she had only felt it right to let him try some when she'd made it. She was also pleasantly surprised at the compliments her baking received here at Hogwarts. Back home, it was impossible to get anything more encouraging than a nod from her aunt. "I'm sure I'll get better with more practice."

"Oh... I don't think Irene liked it much..." the Slytherin said, as the other girl fled from the room.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 10:49

Indiana stood up amid seeing Irene run out of the room, her sob had taken him by surprise. One minute she seemed cheerful and the next minute, she had run out the door crying. He heard Samantha's comment and inwardly frowned. Amid finishing up his slice within a minute, the youth analyzed and could only think of other possibilities.

"I don't think it had to do with the cheesecake, Samantha." Indiana spoke at last.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:01

"I realize that," the Slytherin admitted. "However, that is a personal matter of Irene's that perhaps we shouldn't interfere with. If she feels the need to talk, she'll come in her own good time," Samantha finished. In truth, she too was rather taken aback by the Gryffindor's sudden change in mood seeing as the girl had been perfectly cheerful when helping her prepare the dessert.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:09

"Sorry," Irene returned to the room, "I didn't mean to, I mean, I have some things I'm working on. It's hard, you know? Sometimes remembering things hurts. Anyway, I'm sorry." As she spoke she tossed out the remainder of her cheese cake and washed the dish. She believed herself brave enough to come back but not ready to face what was left of the dessert.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:39

Indiana nodded in agreement, knowing full well on what Samantha was saying. He too didn't want to talk about his parents and kept the issue to himself while not being the type to show his emotions or let them get the better of him. A moment passed before he saw Irene return and heard her apologize before seeing her toss the remainder of her cheesecake away.

Last edited by Indiana Lamperouge on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:44; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:42

"So," Irene's attempt at cheerfulness wasn't really convincing, "Indiana, right? Do you like to cook?" She wanted to dodge the questions she worried were about to come, she really didn't want to hear about how sorry everyone was for her and how they'd be there no matter what. People always said they'd be there but sometimes they left too early.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:48

"Yes but I mostly prefer simple foods that don't require cooking." Indiana replied. Whenever May was on duty, Indiana would usually focus on simple foods such as instant noodles or fruit. Sometimes, he would order carry out in order to offset what was available.

Indiana could sense Irene's attempt to remain cheerful but knew that it was forced. Nonetheless, he decided not to press the issue.

(A/N: Sorry, I took a misstep on the last post.)

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 12:06

Trying to steer the conversation away from troubled waters, Samantha said "my next project is a Quiche, are you familiar with it?"

Turning to Irene, she said "What's you favorite dessert of all? I can put it on my list and make some for you," she offered comfort the only way she knew how. After all, she had sen food speaking louder than words many a times in her short life.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 12:12

"Well," Irene smiled gratefully at the welcome distraction Samantha brought, "I love perfect chocolate chip cookies, you know, the ones that melt in your mouth as you eat them." She bit her lip and smiled, remembering summers filled with just baking and eating her confections, she had made cupcakes and cookies and the occasional batch of vanilla ice cream.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 12:28

"Hmm.. Quiche. I haven't heard of that one before." Indiana replied sheepishly. "If it's not too much trouble, can I take a look at the recipe?"

The youth wondered if he could assist in the minor things and held his position just in case. But Indiana was also hoping to bake particular bakery treat for Samantha and Irene. It was one that he knew down to the last detail and certainly had no problems with. Now if he could just have the right ingredients when the chance comes.

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jul 2010, 13:18

"Uhh.. sure," the Slytherin nodded, gesturing to the back of the door where both her baking list and and the Quiche recipe were pinned up beside each other.

ELLEN'S QUICHE RECIPE

Ingredients

* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
    * 12 slices bacon - make sure each slice is exactly the same size
    * 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese - it better be fine enough to slip through your fingers
    * 1/3 cup minced onion - rings of equal length, diameter
    * 4 eggs, beaten
    * 2 cups light cream
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon white sugar - never ever to be replaced with brown sugar, ever!
    * 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2. Place bacon in a large skillet, and fry over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then chop evenly. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pastry shell.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into pastry shell.

4. Bake for 15 and a half minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted exactly 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Allow quiche to sit 10 and a half minutes minutes before cutting into wedges.

Keeping the chocolate chip cookies for Irene in mind, she made a mental note to update her baking list later.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 01:36

Indiana scanned the recipe, noting the ingredients and directions amid the intensive analysis that he was giving them. It looked rather simple to make and the youth thought of trying it out at home when he had the chance during the school break.

"It looks rather easy enough." the youth remarked. "Of course, you might want to strip the fat off the bacon first before cooking it."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 09:08

"Oh..." the girl blushed. While her aunt was a stickler for timing and method, she didn't always feel the need to state the obvious such as "peel potato" or "strip fat off bacon. "That's pretty much a given," she admitted.

"Anyway, you don't have stick around if if you'd rather be somewhere else," the girl said, head lowered. She hoped she wasn't keeping him from something else. "It'll be quiet boring here, what with all the baking."

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 09:40

Indiana registered Samantha's last sentence and had a feeling on some hidden message behind it. Well, he felt the need to take a walk to clear his mind right now and a stroll outside the castle would certainly help.

"It's not a problem but if it's not any trouble, can you let me know on when I can return? There is something I want to make in the bakery." Indiana replied as he turned to leave.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 12:58

"Oh..?" the Slytherin's shock was apparent in her voice. "You... want to bake?" she continued, completely baffled. She had never met a boy who would actually want to work in a kitchen. Samantha realized there was more to this boy than first met the eye.

"Just come in any time, though please take care to keep the place clean," she added, hoping he wouldn't mind her request or take offense in it.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 13:34

Indiana nodded. Let the two go about their work without interruption. There was no reason for him to be in the bakery for the moment but he would return later once the time and conditions permit. Hopefully, the atmosphere would be less tense by then.

Indiana nodded to the two girls. "Samantha, Irene. Have fun."

With that, Indiana turned and slipped out of the bakery, closing the door behind him.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 14:14

"Bye," Irene said to the boy. "So," she turned to her host, "what do you want me to do? I've never made quiche before, but I'm up for anything." The baking was so relaxing, just being in the kitchen and falling back into a normal activity which Hogwarts had denied her.

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jul 2010, 19:05

Samantha watched the boy leave, many things running through her head and non of which she mentioned to her cooking companion. Turning to the Gryffindor, she said "Thanks, I hope you don't mind getting your hands dirty dealing with bacon. Or if you do, I could always do that part. You can start on the crust."

Patting her head to reassure no strand of hair was lose from the neat ponytail, she put on the thin kitchen gloves and gestured for Irene to follow suit.

Post by Guest Thu 22 Jul 2010, 12:23

"I'll take the bacon, I can handle a little grease," Irene spoke as she slipped the gloves on. She quickly found the bacon and began the silent work. It was dirty, but she didn't mind. From somewhere else in the school, she heard a clock chime. It was getting late, but she had finished all of her homework and she was enjoying being with Samantha too much to leave now.

Post by Guest Thu 22 Jul 2010, 12:31

"Thank you," Samantha said gratefully to the Gryffindor, starting on the crust herself. She liked Irene, she decided. The girl was helpful and friendly and didn't hate her guts for being a Slytherin. She would make her aunt's special chocolate chip cookies, two dozen at least, for the girl and any of her friends she wished to share them with. As soon as she was done with the Quiche, that is.

Post by Guest Thu 22 Jul 2010, 14:57

"So," Irene finished up the bacon, "now what do you want from me?" She was happy that Samantha didn't treat her like dirt for being a Gryffindor, honestly she didn't know what had gotten into Raven lately. "Has Raven said anything about me?" She asked, blushing a little. The question was embarrassing, but she was wondering why the dark-hair youth had left so abruptly when she entered the kitchen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 00:12