Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Figuring out how to swim

Figuring out how to swim Empty Figuring out how to swim

Post by Guest Wed 04 Aug 2010, 01:28

When Professor Lewis had almost made Dixie and her friend go into the lake, retrieving some dead fish, Dixie honestly thought that she would have to learn how to swim on the spot. Luckily, Rabies had pointed out that expecting them to know how to swim already was unfair. Smiling a bit at the memory, Dixie decided that she may as well learn now.
    Walking out toward the lake, she finally found a spot that looked free of others. Taking off her cloak, she was wearing shorts and a shirt she had found-blue with a carrot emblem. Kicking off her shoes and socks, she untied her hair, and set her glasses, she put them onto her cloak.
    Taking a deep breath, she jumped into the lake.
    Her first thought was 'Have I gone mad?? It's at least 60 degrees!'
    Standing on the floor on her tip toes, she shivered, and slowly warmed a bit. Wiping her eyes free of water, she decided to just float for the moment.
    Even though she had been the only kid in FL who didn't know how to swim, she at least knew how to float.
    Kicking off the ground, she leaned back and tilted her head head backwards.
    Careful not to float off toward the middle of the lake-which would completely end in disaster if she did-she let the water carry her for the moment.
    Eh, figuring out how to swim could wait.

Figuring out how to swim Empty Re: Figuring out how to swim

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:27

Alexandra, who had been going for a stroll to the lake, perhaps to take a swim, spotted a girl already in the water. "Hello!" she called out to he cheerfully, stopping by the edge of the water and calling out to the girl, who appeared to be floating.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:31

Startled, Dixie suddenly sank underneath the water, and bounced back up, coughing. Seeing a girl named Alexandra, whom she had seen around school before.
    Smiling, she awkwardly walked closer to the shore, and called back "Hi! Careful when you jump in, colder than a snowcone in here!"

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:33

"I was just coming down for a swim, do you mind if I join you she asked?" eying the water that was so dark it was almost black. "I can survive with the cold," she said with a grin as she tied up her long hair. The water did look a bit cold today, but maybe it would warm up when the sun got higher.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:37

Grinning, Dixie nodded, shuddering a bit from the cold. "Sure, I was feeling sorta lonely anyways. Besides," she added, "It's always good to get to know others, since I have been hanging with pretty much the same people I met on the train."
    Diving under for a moment, Dixie wondered if Alexandra would appreciate being splashed.
    Eh, she couldn't fp that, not until they were better aquianted.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:40

Alexandra tore off her robes to reveal her bathing suit underneath. Even though it was cold, Alex decided to get it over with at once and ran into the water, doing a spectacular cannonball as she entered and splashing water all over the place. She shot up from underneath, bobbing on the water like a cork, and grinned, slightly shivering. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I like to meet new people too. So what'cha doing out here?" she asked, moving her arms and legs to get warmer.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:50

As soon as Dixie wiped the water from her eyes from Alexandras spectacular cannonball, and stepped back a little bit. Nodding her head, she said "Yeah... Well, the only reason that I'm not fighting the insanity that pulls me to this freezing water, is the fact that I can't swim. I only know enough to MAYBE keep me alive if I'm trapped in the middle of the ocean."
    Chucking, she bounced a bit on her heels.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 05:59

"I can help you with that, if you want," offered Alexandra. "When I was younger, my father(Who's a muggle) wanted me to get involved with muggle sports, so I was on the swim team. Of course, that was a long time ago, and I'm really not that great, but I can help a bit," she said, swimming in a little circle to warm herself up in the freezing water.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 06:04

Dixies eyes widened. "Swim team, eh? That's pretty cool!" Grinning, she continued "Guess it's my lucky day then! So were you good at swimming?" she suddenly asked, curious.
    The better Alexandra was, the better chance she would know what to do if her brother shoves her off a pier.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 06:07

Alexandra shrugged. "I was okay," she said, not one for telling of her accomplishments. "The easiest stroke is freestyle, you know just moving her arms one in front of the other," she said, giving a demonstration. "It's kinda like floating, only adding arm movements in as well."

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 08:12

Nodding, Dixie wiped some water out from her eyes. Kicking back to attempt floating, she achieved it, and awkwardly moved her arms in windmill like circles. Laughing a bit at her attempt, she asked "Ok, was that it-at all? I think I only succeeded in floating."
    Flipping her hair back, she wondered if this would be difficult to learn.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 08:18

Alexandra watched Dixie's attempt. "Not bad," she said. "But maybe you should kick more instead of putting so much stress on your arms. If only we had a kickboard you could practice with," she said. "Oh well," she said with a shrug.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 08:44

Dixie sighed, and decided perhaps kicking others might help in training. Heh heh, she wouldn't do that, that was more of a Slytherin thing. Deciding to forget swinmming practice for the moment, she asked "By any chance, would you happen to know where to get an inner tube or something?"
    She highly doubted it, but it never hurts to ask.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 08:58

Alexandra thought carefully. "An inner tube?" she said slowly. "Well, I'd say there weren't any at Hogwarts..." but then her face lit up as she said. "The Room of Requirement! I bet we could find loads of stuff to help you practice swimming in there," she exclaimed, thinking of the odd room that seemed to give you whatever you needed.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 09:16

Dixies face lit up, and she nearly clapped herself on the forehead for not thinking about the Room of Requirement. Of course! That room could provide you with kangaroo or something when you needed it. "Of course! Why didn't I think of it?" she said, and smiled brightly. "See, there's proof you're a true Ravenclaw!"

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 09:20

Alexandra smiled at the compliment. "Thanks," she said. "Well, I could just nip up there and see what the room has," she said, wondering what the room would come up with. "I wonder if that place could come up with a swimming pool! It would be much better practicing there than in this freezing lake. I bet it would be heated," she said with a shiver.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:18

Dixies eyes widened. "Dude, if that were true, then to heck with the lake!" she said, shivering-the temperature seemed to have suddenly dropped. Odd.
    "Heated swimming pools-I'm in!"
    She began to awkwardly walk back to the shore, wondering if the room could provide a smoothie or something.
    Eh, they could just make a pitstop at the Kitchens.

Post by Guest Sun 08 Aug 2010, 04:41

Alexandra laughed. "Let's get out of here," she agreed, following Dixie out of the water. She shivered as the air hit her flesh-it was even colder out here than it was in the lake! "We should have brought towels," she said, wrapping her arms around herself and shaking out her hair. Oh well. Too late for that now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 01:39