Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesson Five

Lesson Five - Page 3 Empty Re: Lesson Five

Post by Guest Sun 15 Aug 2010, 02:35

Cat grinned broadly. This was fun! "It's like a conundrum- neither are right, but both are! The magic is in the environment and us. We can prove that through the existance of wand trees and similiar, and through our own existence. Other than that it's a chicken or egg question- where was it first?"

Post by Guest Sun 15 Aug 2010, 14:24

The question of wandlore had piqued her curiosity though the two girls had been so actively speaking, Samantha hadn't dared interrupt. Now, the witch spoke her thoughts slowly. "Wands have deeply magical cores, true, but they weren't always a wizards greatest channeling tool. I believe, only through lots of studying were wizards able to determine how to use the best tool to channel their magic in the safest way possible. Even now, underage witches and wizards perform magic all the time without the use of a wand. If I had to guess, I'd say that wands are made as a combination of magical being and environment to best help the wizards channel his energies..."

Post by Guest Sun 15 Aug 2010, 15:24

Cat nodded. "That makes sense. Accidental magic and all. It's almost as if wands are... a different type of magic?" Cat frowned, trying to work it through. "Maybe this tells us that our own magic is different to environmental magic?" She shook her head. "I'm not sure if that's quite what the point was, but, I think, well..." She rolled her eyes at her inability to speak. "Sorry, I'm not making much sense."

Post by Guest Sun 15 Aug 2010, 15:56

Tristyn had been watching the discussion carefully, noting down the students’ understanding of magic. Finally, when he had decided they were trapped, he took pity on them and finally voiced out his thoughts.

“Excellent discussion everyone, my only regret is that so few of you joined in. Firstly, I’d like to award a few points out.”

“Firstly, Ms. Black of Hufflepuff, thank you for your continuing enthusiasm when most of the class seems to have fallen asleep and for your insight, 5 points. Same goes for you Ms. Black of Ravenclaw. Ms. Quill, it would appear you’ve read up on the subject of wandlore as well as magical theory and so has Mr. Krum. 10 points apiece to Slytherin.”

Tristyn now gazed at the students awaiting an answer to the question of all questions, which was the right theory. “I know all of you have been speculating and theorizing so I shall now reveal the answer that may shock you to the very core,” he said solemnly. “The answer is… Ms. McNeely gets 5 points for putting it more interestingly than I ever could.”

“As for someone coming up with a theory that combins both ideologies, ladies and gentleman, that – in my opinion – is Rowena Ravenclaw’s greatest achievement. A lot of you might consider it the diadem or the research into aquatic life but let me take this opportunity to tell you that I am an historian by profession,” he chuckled.

“You may research – if you wish – into Ravenclaw’s theories on Charms and how she combined both Merlin and Asbastoff’s approach to magical learning, though I doubt you will,” he winked.

Getting to his feet, he addressed the class for a last time. “Those of you still working on your papers, please leave them on my desk or hand them in at my office. If you’re done, you’re free to leave the class and I will see you for your exams next week. Remember what we discussed today, it might be making an appearance in the written part of you exam. And if you’d like a hint for your practical portion, I would of course not be allowed to tell you but I would tell you to go back and practice some dancing – folk, ballroom, square dancing, anything. Pay particular attention to the steps.”

Wishing them a hearty good luck, Tristyn stepped out of the class.

Post by Guest Mon 23 Aug 2010, 01:32

Alice somewhat missed the old professor williams, but the new professor did seem quite interesting. She quietly looked down at her paper thinking about the questions as she ran a hand through her hair. She very much did dislike homework and it was beginning to stress her out with all of her classes. At least she was not enrolled into all the class that Harmony had, then she might have lost all her hair. She finished up her questions and left them ontop of the professors desk.

Alice Caelum
    Hufflepuff

What is a Charm? A charm is an incantation that manipulates the behavior of an object or the enviroment of an object

What differentiates Charms from other magical fields, like say Transfiguration?
    Charms is not manipulating the physical features of the objects such as transfiguration and it is not use of a potion but an incantation instead

List three examples of charms and what they accomplish e.g. levitation charm, enables objects to fly.

Color Change Charm -- causes an object to flash different colors
    Cheering Charm -- improves upon a creatures mood
    Memory Charm -- erase memories

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 22:34

Jenny missed Professor Williams and had felt close to her before she left. She was a little sad, but she felt very absent sometimes herself. She was finding it harder and harder to get the grades she wanted in any of her classes.

She finished her homework before putting it on his desk and leaving to make sure she didn't forget anything today.

What is a Charm?

A charm is a type of enchantment that causes an object to behave in a way that is not otherwise normal for that object. A "charm" is a rather arbitrary designation for spells that are not classified as Transfiguration (spells that change the inherent nature of an object). For example, the Colour Change Charm causes something to flash different colours; the Levitation or Hover Charm causes an object to levitate; the Cheering Charm improves upon a creature's mood. An object that has a lasting charm placed on it is called bewitched.

What differentiates Charms from other magical fields, like say Transfiguration?

In Transfiguration you are altering the subject's composition in detail while in charms you are just giving an illusion.

What are some of the limitations of Charms?

Charms require the caster to remain focused and usually don't last long.

List three examples of charms and what they accomplish e.g. levitation charm, enables objects to fly.

Silencing Charm – makes the victim temporarily mute
    Tickling Charm – causes the subject to feel unbearable tickling
    Shield Charm – conjures a shield around the caster

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content